Sunday, April 22, 2012

My decision about the recent job offer...

I told you I would share my decision about the recent job offer this weekend.

If you don't know the back story, here it is. My hubby & I were laid off of our job in the middle of December. It was unexpected and right before the holidays. I started selling on ebay again (I have been doing this on & off for the last 8 years or so) and the hubby is taking care of his father who lives by himself and is elderly.

So last Sunday a fellow church member came up to my husband. The man and his wife own a financial planning business that does rather well in our area. They were adding another member to their team and had heard good things about me. I was in the nursery and so I didn't get to speak with him that day. I called and spoke with him regarding the possibly job and interviewed this past Tuesday.

He offered me the job and asked me to let him know my decision by Sunday (today). The job would be stable, offer a good salary and be within a 15 minute drive from my home. It would also be working in Christian environment and be completely flexible. If I needed off due to illness or a doctor's appointment, I could simply take off.

So I had a decision to make. Well...I turned down the job.

There were a few reasons for turning down the job.

1. The first is that I felt a hesitation in taking it. I realize that my (few) blog readers don't really know me but let me say that I have loved every job I have ever had. If someone mentions a job, I want it. I have been a cake decorator, have sold BMWs, have ran retirement communities, have been a waitress and have worked at a day care. And of course I now sell on ebay. Each job was different and I loved every one.

For some reason I wasn't sure if I would like this job. It would require sitting at a computer analyzing numbers for most of my day. I love numbers but something about not working with people made me hesitate.

2. Since the couple was going to spend 3 months (and a lot of money) getting me trained and licensed, they wanted a true commitment. This wasn't something I could try for a few months and then quit. They were looking for a person to work long-term. If I could have tried it out, I may have taken the job.

3. The job didn't have benefits. Right now I am paying for benefits and they are expensive. I am only 32 years old but I have had a lot of odd things wrong with me over the years and have needed those benefits. I would have to keep paying out of pocket and that really cut into my salary.

4. I would be working in a Christian environment with almost all Christians. Don't get me wrong - I am a Christian myself and I love following Christ. But I am not sure I would want to work in a place that didn't allow me to interact with the world.

5. After the interview, my hubby encouraged me to send my resume to a lady we met while his father was in rehab. I did it and I had someone from a staffing agency call me the next day. She was interested to see if wanted to work with seniors again (ummm...YES!) because they may have an opening for a management position in one of their offices close by. We spoke for about 20 minutes and she will call when the position is open.


I told the gentleman today. He seemed to understand but I was very nervous in telling him that I would not be taking the job. I think this may have been the first time I have NOT taken a job when one is offered to me.

So...I will continue to sell on ebay. Thankfully it has allowed us to pay the bills. I will pray that something else comes available since I do miss working with actual people (sorry blog readers but I don't actually know most of you).

Feel free to comment and let me know if you think I made the right decision.

2 comments:

  1. You obviously did not think the job was a good match for you, but it seems you will be taking a full time job that you feel more comfortable with when it comes along. Seems you made the right decision for your circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right - I may take a full time job when the right one comes along. I love working with people and really do need good benefits. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!