Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Vintondale, PA - walk through the woods

My hubby & I live in a rural area of west-central PA. It is a gorgeous state in the spring, summer & autumn months. We have been walking almost every day since the weather has been beautiful - around 80-85 degrees and sunny. Today's walk was in Vintondale, PA. It is just about 5 miles from our home.

I used my new camera to take photos. I am amazed on how much better the photos are than when I used my old camera. My new favorite features: the panorama view.

 
One of the original jail cells, now on display.

The town's church.

The opening to the trail, which is part of Rails to Trails.
Northern Catalpa trees

The trail has bunches of these signs that identify trees, flowers and more.

A view of the "boney pile". 
These are called "spoil tips" or "boney piles" and they are waste materials generally consisting of shale (thanks Wikipedia)

The trail is FULL of butterflies. They kind of get in the way while you walk but they are quite pretty.

How cute is he?!?

Another view of the boney pile.

Part of the original railroad which was moved to the side of the trail. 

A memorial to all those who died in the Vintondale mines.

Using the self timer. Perhaps I should have tried again? :)

Vintondale currently has less than 500 people in the town.

1 comment:

  1. i grew up in vintondale and go back every year
    i love it there

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!