Saturday, July 14, 2012

Recipe: EASY Double Chocolate Chunk Oreo Cookies

I adore chocolate. I literally cannot keep it in the house or I will eat the entire box/package/etc. (The same holds true for almost any food I love.)


For those that don't know, I help bake for church every month or so. We have a smaller church (about 100-125) that has snacks & coffees in the back for people to nibble on while listening to the sermon. Every month I make hundreds of cookies. I try to stick to some basic recipes (sugar, chocolate chip) and add a few different ones each time. 


Next week I get to bake again. I wanted to try a new recipe and I thought that since I teach children's church tomorrow, I would try it out on them. When I teach, I bring a snack to bribe give the kids. It helps them keep quiet during the story. The snack always includes an ice cream soda of some kind (The kids always pick the combination. Last time we had grape & cherry soda with chocolate ice cream.) and a cookie or cupcake I bake. 


My new recipe is SUPER EASY since it starts with a mix. I purchased the Betty Crocker Double Chocolate Chunk cookie mix for about $2 at Wal-Mart. With the mix, you will just need one egg, 2 tablespoons of water and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil. 



The batter looks like this: 


Once the batter is mixed, put just a bit on a cookie sheet. I used about 1 tablespoon of batter which is just slightly bigger than a quarter.




Then stick an Oreo cookie on top of the batter and squish the batter:




Next, put more cookie dough batter on top: 



Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the cookies look done. 


Since this was my first time, I didn't realize I would have to spread the cookie batter down over the Oreo cookie. I thought it would naturally melt down while baking. It did not and my Oreos were not completely covered. 




The kids would eat them anyway but I wanted to do something fun with them since they looked kind of odd with the Oreo sticking out. I put two edible circle sprinkles on top (you can buy these at any craft store or bakery; I found mine at TJ Maxx). 


They reminded me of chocolate monsters of some kind. 




If I would have had Twizzlers or another type of red candy, I could have made a lizard tongue. Pretend my piece of paper is a type of edible candy:




Of course I had to try one to make sure it was good enough for the kids tomorrow! 


  

YUM! This has been the best thing I have eaten in months. Seriously, it was delicious! My husband took a few to my father-in-law and he just called to say he loved them as well.

Next time I will make sure the batter covers the Oreo. I may also try to make these with sugar cookie mix instead of the double chocolate chip mix and then I will color the sugar cookie mix green to make them look more like monsters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!