Sunday, October 2, 2011

Couponing...Does everyone do it?

Back when I didn't work so many hours, I use to cut coupons. I would regularly save more money than I spent when I went grocery shopping. This was back when I spent more time in the house and more time cooking.

Since taking a job that keeps us away from our home every other week, I stopped paying much attention to coupons. Occasionally I will still buy coupons on ebay (which is way easier than cutting them).


My meals at home usually look like this:

Breakfast: Fiber One granola bar
Mid morning snack: Fiber One granola bar
Dinner (or lunch): Tyson chicken strips, microwaved
Mid afternoon snack: Fiber One granola bar
Supper: Spinach salad with blackberries, shredded cheddar and light dressing
Snack before bed: Fiber One granola bar

My husband eats tuna out of the can, egg whites and grilled chicken in rotation. We are very unimaginative eaters. About 3 times a week I grill pork or steak but that is about as imaginative as I get.

So you understand why I don't coupon too often. BUT, today I received the Sunday paper and there were FOUR coupon inserts. FOUR. Usually there are one or two but for some reason this week was extra special.

And as I flipped through I started to cut. I came up with a total of about 10 coupons. Since I work at a retirement community where most residents get the paper but don't use the coupons, I can get a ton of these inserts for nothing.

The inserts included Fiber One coupons and Tyson chicken coupons. Jackpot! In addition there were coupons for napkins (everyone uses napkins), shampoo & conditioners (I am not picky and will buy whatever is cheapest) and Betty Crocker cookie mix (I regularly bake for the neighbors). These are items I would usually buy anyway.

The items I wouldn't usually buy but I may depending on the price are: fat-free Pringles and Pillsbury Egg Scrambles.

So I will be saving about $20 off my next grocery bill. PLUS there was a coupon for $8 off of 2 Covergirl face products. I checked my favorite coupon blog, Together We Save and there is a great deal at Rite Aid:

CoverGirl Cosmetics Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off
Buy 4 CoverGirl Fresh Complexion Concealers $5.49 each
Buy 4 CoverGirl Blush $5.39 each
Total After B1G1 50% Off Sale $32.64
Use 4 $8/2 coupons from the 10/2 PG
Pay $0.64
Receive a $10 +Up Reward (when you buy $30 worth of select P&G products)
Final Cost FREE & $9.36 moneymaker


I don't use CoverGirl (I am a Bare Minerals girl) but I will definiately be buying this deal as it is free plus there is a moneymaker. I can always sell the items on ebay if I don't use them and make even more money.

Does anyone else coupon? What is your favorite coupon blog site?

By the way, today is the LAST day to sign up for my giveaway. I will be pulling a winner tomorrow.

Scrapbook Giveaway




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!