And now that I am an adult, my husband and I support a few children. If you don't know about Compassion, I would encourage you to research it. It is a wonderful organization that allows you to sponsor a child for $38 a month. The child gets medical care, schooling, meals at school, clothing and so much more.
Without further ado, meet "our children":
1. Bidang is our newest sponsor. She is just 6 years old and lives in India. Her parents are married and her father is sometimes a farmer. The average income is $16 a month in her neighborhood. She had been waiting over 400 days on the Compassion sponsorship list before we "chose" her.
2. Uma is 10 and lives in India. She is deaf and mute and goes to school away from her parents. It is like a boarding school for the deaf. Her parents would not be able to afford the school without Compassion since they make just $27 a month in that area. We have been sponsoring her 3 1/2 years and have really seen her grow in God.
3. Princess is 16 years old. She lives in the Philippians. I have to be honest - we chose Princess 9 years ago for her name. How fun is the name Princess? Her English is excellent and we hear from Princess the most often. She writes about once a week and every letter includes a Bible story or memory verse. Compassion doesn't send letters every week (the postage would be quite costly) and so we get big packets of letters when they send them.
4. Johari has a special place in my heart. Her dad passed away when she was young and her mom cares for her and her siblings. Johari is 16 and lives in Tanzania. With the little bit extra we have sent over the last 9 years, her mother has purchased goats and has built a house. Yes, a house. Isn't that crazy?
5. Rama is 10 and lives in India. He loves to draw and every letter includes a drawing. Both of Rama's parents are farmers and he helps around the house. Farmers in this area make $21 a month. We have sponsored Rama for almost two years and believe it or not, he has put on weight.
6. Jithu. Just typing his name puts a smile on my face. Jithu is 16 and lives in India. Jithu loves music and always asks about my husband's guitar. He calls us "Uncle and Aunt" and truly loves God. He is saving for "University" and we are proud of him. He lives in a very poor area and his father drank every day. We have been specifically praying for Jithu's father and this past year he gave up alcohol. Jithu was thrilled and we will continue to pray for this family. We have been sponsoring him for 9 years.
7. Melkamu is almost 17 which is hard for us to believe. We have sponsored him for 10 years and he was our first sponsor. He lives in Ethiopia and is "our" best student. His father is employed as a guard and the average income is about $17 a month in that area. Melkamu is also a great help around the home and he loves soccer.
Every child is different and has their own personality. Some don't speak English and so Compassion has translators for our letters. It has been such a blessing to be part of their lives and to have them part of ours. Compassion makes it easy to send letters through their website. You simply select a template, upload photos (optional) and write. You don't even have to have a stamp!