Thursday, December 19, 2013

Quick Knee Update

Well, today I went back to the knee doctor. A quick recap: I injured my knee about two years ago. In that time, I have had 6 MRIs, 3 knee surgeries, 3 knee doctors and 2 cortisone shots. Today I had cortisone shot #3.

My new doctor said my last MRI showed I had a tear in my meniscus. Again. For the 3rd time. And no, I am not a runner. I'm not even the least bit athletic. Ha. Thankfully it is a horizontal tear this time which means it is fairly stable. The last two were vertical.

He gave me a cortisone shot. If it helps (and I will know in 3 days if it helps), I am good to go. I will continue with cortisone and it should help.

If it doesn't help, he is sending me to a pain clinic. There is a chance that it is RSDS. For the 99.9% of those who haven't heard of RSDS (and I was one of those up until today), it is a rare condition where the symptoms are basically swelling, pain and tenderness.

At first I thought the doctor was telling me it was all in my head. But after I asked him flat out if he thought it was all in my head, he assured me that it is a very real thing.  If I have it, it is still in the early stages which is great.

So there is the update. He doesn't want to do a 4th surgery since this will possibly make it worse. I'm not sure how it could be any worse honestly but I am trusting the doctor on this ;)



On a very positive non-knee note, we found out tonight that one of our Compassion kids, Princess (isn't that an awesome name!?!) is safe & sound. She lives in the Philippines with her family. There home was wiped out by a storm last year. They found another home at the end of last year. We have been praying for her and wondering if she was hit by the typhoon. Compassion let us know today that she was not in the area that was hit. We are so happy.



And one more update. Guess who is back at the hospital? My father-in-law! He wasn't feeling great and was kind of out of it. He said he was having a hard time breathing and was blacking out. We had stopped to drop off groceries on the way home from my doctor's appointment. And off to the ER we went. After an unusually long wait, he got in to see a doctor. They are doing X-rays & bloodwork since he has had pneumonia twice and has had heart issues. They admitted him. Poor guy. The good news is we got him a strawberry milkshake, curly fries and a hamburger from the most-wonderful cafe they have in the hospital. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!