Monday, July 8, 2013

Idea for Organizing Medicine


As most of you know, my husband & I take care of his father. His dad lives alone but my husband is up there every day. 

One of the things I do is make sure his medicine is ready for him. My father-in-law has Parkinson's, mild dementia, severe arthritis and a few other health problems. Due to the arthritis in his fingers, he struggled with the regular medicine dispensers. 

They were too hard to open and when he did get them open, the pills went everywhere. His fingers couldn't scoop out the pills from the little boxes. 


This didn't work well. 


So I had to come up with another idea. Here is what I came up with and it works very well for him. 

Small cups can be found at Wal-Mart or another grocery store.


You will need address labels or another blank sticker. Hand write or use a label maker to create "morning" and "night". I also printed a photo of a sun and moon.
 

Cut the sticker up and use the picture on the top. The saying goes on the cup. 
 

 I line up the cups to fill them. 




Once filled, put the tops on them with the corresponding picture.  


Lastly, put all the night cups in a separate bin. Each bin holds about a month's worth of pills. I only have to do this once a month! When I know there is a doctor appointment coming up (and a good chance of the doctor changing the medicine), I will let the pills dwindle down.


My father-in-law can now grab one of these medicine cups and open it without too much work. The cups are reusable and the entire thing cost me less than $5.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea ... and you are a very thoughtful daughter in law. I am sure he is happy to have you helping him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!