Friday, March 15, 2013

Tabitha

I recently had a conversation about tattoos. It started like this "If you could get any tattoo, what would it be?" 

I had my answer ready. I would get a small tattoo of the name "Tabitha". My name is not Tabitha and there is no one in my life named Tabitha. So why would I get a tattoo of the name? 

Because the Bible story in Acts 9 amazes me and brings tears to my eyes every time I read it. 

"Now there was in Joppa a disciple named Tabitha...She was full of good works and acts of charity. In those days she became ill and died, and when they had washed her, they laid her in an upper room....All the widows stood...weeping and showing tunics and other garments that Tabitha made while she was with them. But Peter put them all outside and knelt down and prayed. And turning to the body he said "Tabitha, arise." And she opened her eyes and sat up. And he gave her his hand and raised her up. Then he presented her alive." -Acts 9: 36-37, 39-41

This is the only time that Tabitha is ever mentioned in the Bible. She appears in only 8 verses

I always wondered why it was included in the Bible. God could have very easily skipped adding the story. 

We don't know much about Tabitha (who is called Dorcas by the Greeks). We know that she is kind and she makes clothing for the poor and widowed. Her life was probably a simple one and she did not draw much attention. 

However, her life touched others. So much so that when she died, two of her friends went to find Peter. Peter was 12 miles away in Lydda. When he arrives he is greeted by grieving friends who show him all that she did for them. 

Peter asks everyone to leave and then kneels in front of Tabitha's body. He commands her to rise. 

I cannot imagine how Tabitha would feel. She had died and was with Jesus in heaven. And then she is back on earth. She must have felt shock. And she must have known how much she was loved. 

She led a quiet life. She was not a rock star. She was not a Super Bowl champion. She was not Billy Graham. According to the world today, Tabitha might have been considered a loser. She hung out with the poor and widowed.

And yet her making tunics for the poor touched lives. I want my life to mirror Tabitha's. I realize I will never be a star according to the world. And I am honestly okay with that. I don't need to be a star. I just want to live my life simply and touch lives. 

By the way, I am way too scared to get a tattoo. My sister knows this and hand embroidered me a pillow case...of the name Tabitha.  

Perfection!
 

    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!